I grew up in a wonderful home with an amazing mother. My 2 grandmothers lived close by and we were spoiled by them. One was named Anna and the other Rhea Anna. And so my handle if you will is Granny Ann. Together those 3 women taught me everything and taught me how to love living life by hand. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Becky's Rolls

My daughter and her family are living with us until they get into their house. Becky and I are having so much fun cooking. She is a bread lover, just like me. In our area there is a restaurant, Magleby's. They are famous for their rolls and chocolate cake. Everyone tries to copy them because they are so delicious. I think my daughter has come pretty close with these:

Becky's rolls:

2 cups warm water
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
4 1/2 cups flour (2 cups now and 2 1/2 cups later)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dough enhancer
2 tablespoons gluten
2 tablespoons instant yeast

Topping:

1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon parsley
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 cup fresh finely grated Monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup melted butter

Add ingredients in order listed into mixer (excluding the topping ingredients and 2 1/2 cups flour). Let ingredients mix until fully blended. Slowly add rest of flour and let dough mix for 10 more minutes. The dough may look too moist at first but don't worry as it mixes and the gluten starts to work it will become a beautiful, soft, elastic dough. While the dough is kneading prepare the topping. Mix everything together expect for the butter. Melt the butter in a separate bowl and put both aside. Prepare the pan you are going to use by spraying it with a little Pam or rubbing a little butter on it. When the dough is ready turn out onto a greased surface. Oil hands before beginning to play with (divide) the dough. Becky loves large rolls so she just squeezes out 15 dough balls. I was raised by a mathematician so I have to do everything evenly. I know this is crazy but . . . I squeeze the dough in half. Then I squeeze each half in half. Then each quarter in half and finally I squeeze each remaining portion into thirds giving me 24 rolls. So whatever size you like take the dough balls and roll them in the butter and then in the cheese mixture and place close together in your pan. Rolls like to be close together so they can help each other keep warm and they can rise together. Just a little elbow room is all they require. Let them rise until double in size. Bake them @ 350ºF for 18 minutes, smaller rolls for 11 minutes.
Becky cooked some of them in a large cupcake tin and they turned out just beautiful.





No comments:

Post a Comment