I grew up in a wonderful home with an amazing mother. My 2 grandmothers lived close by and we were spoiled by them. One was named Anna and the other Rhea Anna. And so my handle if you will is Granny Ann. Together those 3 women taught me everything and taught me how to love living life by hand. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bread

Enough said. Bread is everything. It sustains you, gives you comfort, reminds you of days gone by and days to come. It helps you sell your home, greet new neighbors and lift up the sick or the down-hearted. It is so simple yet so complex. Here is my version:

4 cups warm water
3/4 cup honey
2/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon salt
8 1/2 cups flour (wheat or white)**
1 tablespoon dough enhancer*
4 tablespoons gluten
4 tablespoons instant yeast

Add all ingredients to bread mixer in order listed except half of the flour. Mix until all ingredients are wet and smooth. Scrap down sides of bowl. Slowly add the rest of the flour a cup at a time, mixing in-between. Dough will still be very wet looking. Don't be fooled by this let the dough keep mixing for several minutes. If it still needs a little more flour add a few tablespoons more but no more than 8 tablespoons or an extra 1/2 cup. Dough should knead for a total of 13 minutes. This allows for plenty of time for the gluten to begin it's work. The dough should be very smooth and very elastic. Turn dough out onto oiled counter. Divide dough into 4 equal portions.

Working with one portion at a time, pat dough into a rectangle the same width as your pan.
Roll dough up (like a jellyroll). Pinch roll off on ends and pat any large air bubbles that may still be present.

Place in oiled bread pan and repeat with remaining portions. Let dough rise until double.


Bake in a preheated oven according to your likes. I like my bread soft on the inside and outside so I cook it on 350ยบ F for 25 minutes. Tap lightly on the bottom to make sure it has that hollow sound and it should be done. For more instruction on bread making go here. Allrecipes.com is one of my favorite sites for ideas and helpful hints. Enjoy.

*If you are not familiar with gluten and dough enhancer, these are the ones that I use.
**I usually make my bread 100% whole wheat but this day I didn't grind enough wheat so it is half and half.


2 comments:

  1. I tried to make your bread today and I wonder what went wrong. I couldn't handle it, it was too sticky and soft. It wouldn't hold any kind of shape. I double checked and I'm pretty sure I followed to the T. Any ideas? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This kind of bread should be very sticky but the elongation of the gluten should make the dough very elastic. Remember that if you use freshly ground flour it will take up to 8 more tablespoons of flour to compensate for the amount of air still in the flour when grinding. Oil your hands and your counter. How did the bread turn out when you baked it? It shouldn't really hold any form on it's own. It will let the pan do that.

    ReplyDelete