I grew up in a wonderful home with an amazing mother. My 2 grandmothers lived close by and we were spoiled by them. One was named Anna and the other Rhea Anna. And so my handle if you will is Granny Ann. Together those 3 women taught me everything and taught me how to love living life by hand. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have.

Friday, June 10, 2011


Here is my sailboat quilt. It was for my grandson L(2). His mommy helped me design it . T. loves polka-dots and it was fun picking out all the fabrics. One of them is even the ocean waves.


This is the picture I drew to begin the quilt. T. had seem one with a whale so one square has a little whale on it.


Here are the six background fabrics I choose.
For the material for the sailboats I chose Blues fabrics with dots or stars and then found green and yellow fabrics to complement the blues. The mast fabric is the same as the corner squares and matches closely with the dark stripe in the boarder fabric. The quilt is also bound with the same blue fabric. After cutting out the different pieces it's time for the fun part, or maybe the headache part of the project, laying out the squares. Every boat will not be your favorite and some combinations you will absolutely love. Yet in the end you wouldn't want just a quilt of favorites it's all the combinations that make it unique and fun.
After the layout is complete iron the pieces in place and then applique. I used a light blue thread on everything even the greens and yellows but not the on the mast. It is done with a darker blue thread. Squares are sewn together with yellow sashing and blue corners.

After adding the boarders and the backing it's time to quilt it. I always use 'Warm and Nautral' batting. It is quilted with large swrilies in the middle and. . .
Big ocean waves on the outside boarder.It's always so fun to see the pattern on the back of the quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment