I grew up in a wonderful home with an amazing mother. My 2 grandmothers lived close by and we were spoiled by them. One was named Anna and the other Rhea Anna. And so my handle if you will is Granny Ann. Together those 3 women taught me everything and taught me how to love living life by hand. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Uncle Bill's Beef

My husband's brother Bill was just older than him. He loved our children and was always so kind to them. He really knew how to have fun. When he passed away, after a long fight with brain cancer, his funeral was a grand celebration of his life. The ladies of the church made a wonderful meal for us which was a great undertaking for our large family. Eight siblings and 63 nieces and nephews plus their children is quite a large group and that's not counting other family and friends. The beef they prepared was so amazing that my children made me ask for the recipe. Of course it didn't take much prompting from them, I always visit the church kitchen for any event. That's where all the fun happens anyway. They said they rubbed the meat with oil and then some spices. Cook the roast with 1/2 cup water on 350º F for 3 hours. Slice the meat, add au jus to the drippings, return meat to pan, let sit over night. Reheat for 2 hours on 250º F. Delicious. And because we named it Uncle Bill's beef, it's a party every time we eat it.
Here is exactly how I do it:

Uncle Bill's Beef

Roast beef 3-4 pounds
2-3 tablespoons MarChele's Prime Rib Rub
1/2 cup water
1 packet au jus
1 roasting bag, opt*

Rub all sides of roast generously with rub. Place in pan with water. Bake on 350º F for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Remove roast from pan. Slice roast in very thin slices. The trick here is to slice it across the grain.
You can see here that this roast cannot be sliced in the usual way. It will have to be cut in half.
Turn the meat on it's side and then slice cutting across the grain of the meat. Add a packet of Au jus to the drippings and 2 cups of water. Stir until dissolved. Return meat to pan making sure it is covered in the au jus. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Reheat on 250º F until hot. Serve with Uncle Bill's Beef and Creamy Smashers.

*If I am cooking several roasts for a big party I use a cooking bag and cook up to 4 in a half sheet cake pan. Bake as usual. After slicing I put the meat in a roaster oven pan. The next day I just put the roaster oven pan back in the pan and warm the meat that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment