I grew up in a wonderful home with an amazing mother. My 2 grandmothers lived close by and we were spoiled by them. One was named Anna and the other Rhea Anna. And so my handle if you will is Granny Ann. Together those 3 women taught me everything and taught me how to love living life by hand. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Corn Bread

When I was a kid my mother served corn bread for breakfast with maple syrup. My husband converted me to butter and warm honey. Now I serve it with honey butter but really I love cornbread as the main attraction or as a side show. It can be breakfast, lunch and dinner. It can be plain or fancy. Here is my plain version. You can add whatever you want to make it fancy, i.e. creamed corn, dry vanilla pudding, green chilies, etc.

Recipe:

2 cups flour
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon basking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1/4 cup oil
3 eggs

Combine first 5 ingredients, set aside. (Mix the dry stuff first so that your wisk is dry.)


In a separate bowl combine next 3 ingredients. Beat well. 


Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. (It's easier to combine wet to dry than dry to wet. Sometimes you can get a dry pocket if you pour the wet into the dry.)


Mix lightly with fork. Batter must still be lumpy.


Pour into a greased 9" x 13" dripper pan. Bake @ 400 ºF for 20 minutes. For muffins bake for 12 minutes. Serve with honey butter, smothered with chili, along side any dinner item.

No comments:

Post a Comment