I grew up in a wonderful home with an amazing mother. My 2 grandmothers lived close by and we were spoiled by them. One was named Anna and the other Rhea Anna. And so my handle if you will is Granny Ann. Together those 3 women taught me everything and taught me how to love living life by hand. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Smashers

I grew up on mashed potatoes from a box! I can't believe it. I guess it was convenient on the Sabbath. But instant potatoes? What were we thinking. The real thing is so delicious that it doesn't need anything on top of it to dress it up. However cheese or gravy on top never hurts. Russet potatoes are the best mashers but red and Gold Yukon work just fine. Try a combination for different textures.


Recipe:

6 potatoes
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup salted butter
1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
salt and pepper
milk
Cheddar cheese, grated

Scrub potatoes, do not peel. Remove eyes but do not peel. I usually just throw my potatoes in the pan whole if they are pretty much the same size. If I am in a hurry then I will cut them up into equally sized chunks. Cover with water, bring to a boil, put the lid on and simmer until soft but not mushy.



Remove from heat and drain completely. Mash with a potato masher, do not add anything yet. (Using an electric beater can make the potatoes gluey.) After initial mashing add cream cheese, butter and garlic. Mash to desired consistency adding milk for creamy potatoes. Leaving a few chunks of potatoes is just fine. Potatoes are ready to serve or can be transferred to a dripper pan and covered with cheese. Cover and wait until the cheese melts. The potatoes can then be served or cooled, covered,  refrigerated and warmed up another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment