I grew up in a wonderful home with an amazing mother. My 2 grandmothers lived close by and we were spoiled by them. One was named Anna and the other Rhea Anna. And so my handle if you will is Granny Ann. Together those 3 women taught me everything and taught me how to love living life by hand. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Chicken Taquitos

It seems like in my childhood home we ate the same basic menu all the time, i.e. veggie soup, meat loaf, spaghetti, goulash. But when company came we had something special like my Dad's famous hamburgers or his spicy enchiladas. Even Mom's creamy meatballs with twice baked potatoes were special. Now I try to find something different every week to add to our menu. This recipe is totally different and special. If it has cilantro, cumin and fresh lime I know I am going to like it. Hope you do to.


Recipe

1/2 cup chopped cilantro
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 7 oz can Salsa Verde
1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 minced garlic, not powdered
3 14 oz. cans cooked chicken, shredded
3 cups jack cheese, mild for me - spicy for others
18 flour tortillas
salt
cooking spray, butter flavored

Cilantro does not need to be finely chopped. The slightly bigger pieces will be just fine.

 Stir salsa, cumin, chili, and garlic into the softened cream cheese. It needs to be really soft for easy mixing. If necessary heat in the microwave for 15 seconds. It may need another time in the microwave but make sure not to cook it only soften it.
 Next add the cilantro and cheese. And then finally the chicken making sure there are no big lumps of chicken left in the mix.
 We like lots of filling in our taquitos so this is what they will look like. I recommend using a little less if you are used to eating store bought taquitos.

Fold sides in and roll tortilla around filling.
 Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray. Arrange some of the taquitos in the pan. Spray the tops with cooking spray and then lightly salt.
 Cook on medium heat until a nice brown color. Turn once and cook on the other side.
Serve with a green salad and cilantro dressing, salsa, sour cream and guacamole Or just eat plain and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment