I grew up in a wonderful home with an amazing mother. My 2 grandmothers lived close by and we were spoiled by them. One was named Anna and the other Rhea Anna. And so my handle if you will is Granny Ann. Together those 3 women taught me everything and taught me how to love living life by hand. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mom's Mustard Pickles

My husband's mother was incredible. She could do anything and she did do everything. To make a delicious meal she could just go to her pantry and open up several bottles and we'd have a feast. These pickles were new to me and now we can't eat any pork without them.

Recipe:

1 head cauliflower, broken into little flowerets
2 cups cucumbers, peeled and cubed
2 cups pickling onions, peeled
1/4 cup salt
2 cups vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 heaping Tablespoon alum
1 heaping Tablespoon mustard
1-1/2 Tablespoons flour
1/2  Tablespoon tumeric
In large saucepan, combine cauliflower, cucumbers, onions and salt.
Cover with water. Soak overnight. Drain. Pour vinegar, water, sugar and
alum over vegetables and boil 1/2 hour. Make thickening by combining
in a small bowl, mustard, flour, tumeric and a small amount of water to
make a thin paste. Add to pickles and stir until thick. Pickles are ready to
eat or to be bottled. Cooled pickles can be stored in the refrigerator for 1
month.

No comments:

Post a Comment