I grew up in a wonderful home with an amazing mother. My 2 grandmothers lived close by and we were spoiled by them. One was named Anna and the other Rhea Anna. And so my handle if you will is Granny Ann. Together those 3 women taught me everything and taught me how to love living life by hand. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Christmas Clam Chowder

Some traditions start with one time doing them. I wanted our children to remember the Savior on Christmas Eve. I tried to think of how to accomplish that with food. The Savior probably ate a good deal of fish and bread. So this recipe is my 'fish'. Now every Christmas Eve our candle light dinner begins with just clam chowder and rolls. The tradition of how it came to be a candle light dinner is another story.

Recipe

1 cup onions, finely chopped
1 cup celery, finely chopped
2 cups potatoes, cut in small pieces
2 cans clams
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
3 cups milk
1 cup cream
1-1/2 teaspoons salt

In a small saucepan drain juice off clams and pour over vegetables. Add enough water to cover. Boil over medium heat until tender. Meanwhile melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and blend. Add milk and cream stirring constantly until smooth and thick. Add cooked veggies, undrained. Add salt to taste. Heat thoroughly, but do not boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment