I grew up in a wonderful home with an amazing mother. My 2 grandmothers lived close by and we were spoiled by them. One was named Anna and the other Rhea Anna. And so my handle if you will is Granny Ann. Together those 3 women taught me everything and taught me how to love living life by hand. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Bucket Bread

I found this video on you tube. It is a no knead bread that you make in a plastic bucket. Unlike a lot of no knead breads it doesn't take 2 days to make it. I love experimenting with this dough and making it into things like breakfast sausage cupcakes or cucumbers sandwiches.They have a great tutorial but here is mine as well.

Recipe:

1 1/2 Tablespoons instant yeast
1 Tablespoon salt or 1 1/2 Tablespoon Kosher salt
3 cups lukewarm water
6 1/2 cups flour
 I use an empty ice cream bucket with a small hole in the lid. Add yeast, then salt and water. Stir slightly. Add all the flour at once. Just dump it all in.
 Stir it with a spoon.
 Just make sure everything is wet.
 Put the lid on. Make sure it has a tiny hole in it or leave the lid slightly off.

 And let time do the rest.
 In 90 minutes it looks like this. Then you either put it in the fridge for several days or start using it immediately. Sprinkle flour on top of the dough as it will be very, very sticky. Handle the dough as little as possible. I use scissors to cut off what ever size I need. Gently tuck the edges of the dough under. Place on a peel prepared with corn meal. If making rolls. . .

 . . .which my family loves the best family loves the best, dip each roll in corn meal before placing on a cookie sheet to rise. If making baguettes . .


. . .spray baguette pan with a cooking spray and let rise. Whatever you  are baking just let the dough rest for 30 to 90 minutes.


Fresh dough rises quicker than cold dough but don't look for it to double in size.


Don't forget to cut/slash the top of your bread just before you bake it. Sprinkle flour on top of the loaf to keep it from sticking to your knife.

Place a pizza stone on a rack in the middle of your oven (if you are making a loaf) and preheat to 450ºF. Just before sliding loaf onto the pizza stone place a pan of water on the lowest rack in the oven. This helps mist the bread during baking giving it an even crunchier (is that a word) crust. Bake the loaf for 30-35 minutes, the rolls for 15 minutes and the baguette for 12-15 minutes. The result is fantastic, easy, cheap and delicious. Just look at those holes. I love to turn my baguettes into little cucumber snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment