I grew up in a wonderful home with an amazing mother. My 2 grandmothers lived close by and we were spoiled by them. One was named Anna and the other Rhea Anna. And so my handle if you will is Granny Ann. Together those 3 women taught me everything and taught me how to love living life by hand. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Dutch Oven Dump Cake

During the Summer as a child, we would go over to our Grandparents home in Huntington to visit for the evening. Grandma always had something fun planned for us. Often times it was a hotdog roast with somores. We had to go get a willow stick from Uncle Serns house next door while Grandpa made the fire. Then we'd get folding chairs and sit on them while we watched the fire burn. I still love to sit and watch a cooking fire burn. That's why we have a fire pit in our yard and why I think cooking and eating have to be fun and yummy.


This is the cake of endless possibilities and so easy. I love to combine blueberry and cherry pie filling with a vanilla cake. It makes it an All-American experience.

Recipe
 
1-2 21 oz. cans fruit or pie filling (If using fruit drain juice and use as part of the soda pop)
1 cake mix (dry, unmixed, straight from the box)
12 oz can of soda pop (If using juice reduce the amount of soda to equal only 1 1/2 cup of liquid total.)

Line a 12" Dutch oven with tin foil. Add fruit and spread out. 
Dump dry cake mix over fruit.
 Pour the soda (or soda juice mixture) over the cake mix.  Place lid on oven. Bake for 45-60 minutes using 12 briquettes top and 12 briquettes bottom. Rotate oven one quarter turn to the right and lid one quarter turn to the left every 15 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment